In 2013, the Department of Justice announced a change to the definition of Rape for the Uniform Crime Reporting Program’s (UCR) Summary Reporting System:
The new Summary definition of Rape is: “Penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim”
The importance of the new Summary is that Rape includes Males and Females.
Prior it was “forcible only to a female by a male”
- A total of 1,988 rapes Reported in the State of Alabama
232 total arrests
- On average, there are 5.4 rapes reported each day.
- 79% of the rapes, the victim knew or was related to the offender, 4% did not know their offender
- Every 98 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.
- Every 8 minutes, that victim is a child.
- Only 6 out of every 1,000 offenders will end up in jail
- According to National Institute for Justice and the CDC, 1 in 5 women and 1 in 33 men have reported an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.